- October 22, 2015
Contact: Leah Brown
AUSTIN, TX — Texas Alliance for Life presented 11 Texas state legislators with its “Courageous Defense of Life” award at its Annual Benefit Dinner on Tuesday, October 13, at the Hilton Austin. They will present the award to three more legislators at a later date. Each played significant roles in helping to achieve a highly successful session during 84th Legislature that met for 20 weeks through June 1. A summary of the pro-life successes is given here, and includes continuing defunding of Planned Parenthood, passing five major pro-life bills, increasing funding for compassionate alternatives to abortion, and numerous other pro-life provisions in the Appropriations Act.
Photos of the event can be viewed here.
The awardees included:
- Sen. Donna Campbell (R-New Braunfels)
- Sen. Charles Schwertner (R-Georgetown)
- Rep. Byron Cook (R-Corsicana)
- Rep. Charlie Geren (R-Fort Worth)
- Rep. Todd Hunter (R-Corpus Christi)
- Rep. Jim Keffer (R-Eastland)
- Rep. Geanie Morrison (R-Victoria)
- Rep. Tan Parker (R-Flower Mound)
- Rep. Debbie Riddle (R-Spring)
- Rep. Drew Springer (R-Muenster)
- Rep. John Zerwas, M.D (R-Richmond)
Texas Alliance for Life will present the same award to several other legislators in their districts at a later date, including:
- Sen. Jane Nelson (R-Flower Mound)
- Sen. Charles Perry (R-Lubbock)
- Rep. Brooks Landgraf (R-Odessa)
“We are honored to present each of these outstanding legislators with our top award,” said Joe Pojman, Ph.D., executive director of Texas Alliance for Life. “Along with Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, and Speaker Joe Straus, these members played critical roles in successfully promoting pro-life legislation that builds on the tremendous gains achieved in Texas since 2011.”
The featured speaker was Abby Johnson, a former Planned Parenthood abortion facility director. Between 1,300 and 1,400 people attended the event, which is TAL’s largest dinner of the year. More than 50 pro-life elected officials and candidates were also in attendance.