Calls and emails are needed to members of the Texas House to ask them to support HB 16, the Texas Born-Alive Infant Protection Act. The House is scheduled to debate this bill on Tuesday.
Please urge your Texas state representative to support HB 16.
Your immediate call or email call could make a huge difference. (See samples below. )
HB 16 (and the Senate version SB 23) protects a child who survives an abortion and requires the same standard of care due to any other child born at the same gestational age.
SAMPLE MESSAGE: Please contact your Texas State Representative as soon as possible. Use your own words.
“Hello, my name is (name). I live at (address). Please ask Representative (name) to support House Bill 16, the Texas Born-Alive Infant Protection Act, to protect babies born alive after abortion. Thank you.”
The Honorable (first) (last)
Dear Representative (last):
I urge you to support House Bill 16, the Texas Born-Alive Infant Protection Act, to protect babies born alive after an abortion. Thank you.
Please let us know you’ve contacted your representative. Send comments to email@example.com.
- HB 16 and the Senate version SB 23, known as the Texas Born-Alive Infant Protection Act, is among the top priorities of Texas Alliance for Life.
- HB 16 is authored by Rep. Jeff Leach (R-Plano). The Senate version SB 23 is authored by State Sen. Lois Kolkhorst (R-Brenham).
- Members of the Legislature held a news conference to introduce the Texas Born-Alive Infant Protection Act on March 7. Here is more information.
- The Senate passed SB 23 on April 9, 2019, on a 21-10 vote:
- Yeas: Bettencourt, Birdwell, Buckingham, Campbell, Creighton, Fallon, Flores, Hall, Hancock, Huffman, Hughes, Kolkhorst, Lucio, Nelson, Nichols, Paxton, Perry, Schwertner, Seliger, Taylor, Zaffirini.
- Nays: Alvarado, Hinojosa, Johnson, Menendez, Miles, Powell, Rodrıguez, Watson, West, Whitmire.
- Remarks by Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. (D-Brownsville) are printed in the Senate Journal at the request of Sen. Pete Flores (R-Pleasanton).
- The House Judiciary and Civil Justice Committee considered HB 16 at a hearing on March 25, 2019. The written testimony of Texas Alliance for Life’s Executive Director Dr. Joe Pojman is HERE.
- For updates on Life-related bills in the Texas Legislature, visit HERE.
Click here to UNSUBSCRIBE